Sunday, August 2, 2009

My Last Sunday
















As predicted, yesterday was a tough day. I woke up to the rain pouring down outside. What a gloomy day to say goodbye to everyone. Even though Kwa Zulu-Natal needs rain really badly, it just reminded me of big crocodile tears coming down from the sky. I heard it has been raining back at home as well.
When we got up to the church, there were not very many people there. The rain really makes it hard for everyone to get around and with no transportation, the walk is very difficult. It was ok though. The church was dark and the sound of the rain was popping off the tin roof throughout the entire service. It kind of just made you want to be quiet and still and just listen. Maybe that is why God brought the rain- so we could just listen. It was so hard to see Jabulani, a grown man, get up and openly weep in front of the church as he said goodbye to me from the church. I was so moved that the words that were coming out of his mouth were for me. Liz. Just Liz- 22, young, unknowing, and ordinary. At that moment all I could think about was the words to the song, "How Great is Our God."
How GREAT is our God.
Sing with me how GREAT is our God.
And all will see how GREAT,
How GREAT is our God.

Seriously, can we measure his greatness? Never properly, but we can generalize the enormity of it in human measurements by the things He has done for us that we could never do on our own. I thought back to one year ago when I was in the Outer Banks sitting in church with my aunt and cousins. I genuinely heard the voice of God for the first time in my life. It has never been more clear, but He said to me simply, "Go." I knew then I must go. My reaction was, "Where? When? How? What?" From that moment, I had the burden of his calling on my heart. I was restless, anxious, nervous, impatient. To think about that moment then and to look at where I am now truly shows how great He really is. The moment I knew I was coming to Africa, I felt that burden lift. That is how I knew in my heart I was supposed to be coming here. I tried to tell the people of the church that, and I hope maybe it came out like that. I just wanted them to know how lucky I felt to be there; to be the one God called; to be the one who experienced their unyielding love; to show them He is great. Before I left, they all placed their hands on me and prayed over me. Wow. I have never had that done for me before. I cannot even try to start to describe that feeling except that it feels like Christmas. It feels like everyone is offering only me gifts, and no one else is getting them, just giving them to me.
Can I tell you how selfless they are? Ana (the lady that Mission decided to build a house for and in the picture I posted) and I formed quite a bond the last couple of times I have been with her. It all kind of started when I was with Bridgette at Ana's house. That was the day we were basically rolling with laughter because Ana "demonstrated" that I was her real daughter. I guess it just sounds bad if I don't just tell you what she does. She simply pushes up her breasts and that means, "You are my real daughter." It is basically a huge joke and every time we see each other, we do that. It is kind of the equivalent to a secret handshake to us, but more hilarious. Sorry if that is weird, but I guess you have to be here to understand the humor. haha. Anyways! So she had on a beautiful pink and white scarf yesterday at church. It was extremely cold there then. As we were all standing there about to leave, she comes over and wraps that scarf around me. You know, this lady has nothing, and gives everything. She has taken in so many orphans, has cared for them, and given herself to her community. They have nothing and then they give what little they have. You really have to feel so small and shameful of yourself when you think of it!
We went over to Jabulani's last night, but I decided it couldn't be the last time we say goodbye. Fikile has gone to Empangeni this morning but on our way to Durban, we are going to stop and say our last goodbyes. I hate all the sadness. Today will be the day I say goodbye to everyone here, except Swazi. We took her back to school early this morning and that was the last time I will get to see her. I don't think it has quite hit me yet. She wrote me the sweetest card. I want to brag on her writing and English a little bit by showing you what she wrote. This is what it said:

Lizzy-
Thank you for being our teacher at school and you are so beautiful to me. I love you Lizzy and I know that you love me and may God bless you. You do know that I love you so much because you love me. And, I want to ask you to remember your song grade 7 sang for you ("We love you with the love of the Lord"). You'll be missing me and I'll be missing you.

Swazi just turned 9 years old. Isn't it amazing? A little over a year ago, she could barely speak English. I am was so proud of her every time I would look over her shoulder in class and read her sentences. I will miss her so much!
Well, tomorrow we head out to Durban. I can hardly believe it. Didn't I just arrive a couple of days ago? It feels so short, but it also feels like I also have a full heart and that is evidence that I have been here far longer than a couple of days. I want to encourage you to see the world. Think outside "the box." Meet new people. Form relationships that you wouldn't normally form. See that God isn't as focused on one place as you thought He was. It will truly open your eyes to so many things. If you get the chance, and if you have a desire to do something like that, just do it. Go. I don't think I could ever stop doing that.
His plan for our journey truly is like the open sea: visually endless, deep, mysterious, adventurous, exciting, stormy, glassy, wavy, windy, peaceful, quiet, and far-reaching. Now that I have set sail, I have a hard time seeing my boat docking ashore in once place for awhile. Let Him be the one to blow wind into your sails. If we let Him, He will provide direction and lead us. Like Delmar says in the movie, O Brother Whereart Thou?, "Come on in boys, the water is fine."

2 comments: