Saturday, July 4, 2009

June 21, 2009


I need to begin writing what happens every night or I may forget every awesome thing that has happened. I don't want to even let one event slip through and be forgotten! Well, two mornings after I arrived here, I overslept by accident due to the earplugs I decided to wear. Yep, I wok up at 8 and was supposed to be there at 7:15. Those things work good! haha! Thankfully, it wasn't that big of a deal to the teachers, who blamed it on jet lag. What a great impression I made on my second day. I am starting to get to know all the teachers and students a little more. I have been shadowing the English teacher from class to class and she is awesome. She has the best sarcastic, witty, and fun sense of humor and she is extremely intelligent. I really like her a lot, probably because she reminds me so much of my mom. I think they would definitely get along well. I went home with Elaine and petted and fed her pet rhino. Her family is extremely nice and inviting. Everyone around here is so into Rugby and Cricket it is crazy. I am trying to learn more but I feel so unknowledgeable and left out. As big of a sports fan as I am, I feel like someone who has no clue about sports here. I think I am going to referee Netbal next week during there sports week, so I studied the rules over the weekend. 
Friday after school, Swazi and I got picked up and went with Jordan, Patty, and Terry. I have so enjoyed getting to know Patty and Terry more. Firstly, Terry spoils me all the time, and Patty is constantly making me laugh. Secondly, Terry is so easy to talk to and Patty can about talk to anyone and have just a natural and refreshing conversation. I might feel lost when they are gone. 
Yesterday, all of us and Swazi drove a couple of hours to a place called Manguzi. I bought a hilarious African-looking dress. It actually kind of looks like I am a stay at home mother from the 1950's when I put it on. They bough Mbali and her family groceries and we visited with her awhile. She says she wants to be a teacher. It is amazing to hear her speak English with knowing that she only learned in the last year. Wow. What is my excuse for not knowing another language? None, I guess. Next, we rode WAY out in the bush to where a new church was being built by a monstrosity of a man named Joel. There we met Nic and his family who has been a missionary/game reserve supervisor in South Africa all his life.  We also met another mission team from North Carolina, go figure. I tell you if we aren't half-way around the world and I met a girl who went to South Stanly High School. She now teachers at New London. Small world, isn't it? That night all of us; Patty, Terry, Jordan, Jabulani, Fikile, Swazi, Nixolo, Nocebo and I went to the hotel and ate. It was so good! Afterwards we jumped on a trampoline with the girls. I don't think they had ever jumped on one before because every time I tried to bounce them high, they would go on knee lock-down. haha. I also learned a traditional Zulu dance and boy was that a sight. I found out the significance of that short lesson later when I had to get up in front of everyone and do it with all those half-naked boys and their traditional clothes on. It was quite an experience! 
This morning I experienced my first Zulu church service. It was a pretty long drive down a bumpy dirt road to the church. It didn't seem like it, but it lasted around 3 hours. I don't think I could take one of our church services at home for that long, but here it just seems to fill all the empty spaces in your mind and settle with you. They sings so beautifully it gives me chills, or "chicken skin," as Jabulani calls it. We had to get up in front of everyone and introduce ourselves and give a little speech. You always have to be ready to give an improv speech with Jabulani. One boy joined the church and renewed his relationship with Christ and they all just started dancing! At events like those, you really have to ask yourself, "Do I really have any rhythm?" It was pretty amazing. Apparently, I am not going home according to Jabulani. It is so easy to love the children here. Oh yes, also! Today, I saw Nelesiwe for the first time and I could hardly believe my eyes. She looks great and could hardly imagine her in her near-death state. What a lovely personality she has! No one can come here and know what has happened and say God isn't real. He is truly everywhere and I am just so glad he brought me here.

No comments:

Post a Comment