Saturday, July 4, 2009

June 22, 2009


Today was one of those nice, laid-back days, despite the fact that it was Monday. The team from Mission are in DC now about to board the plane to come here. I am going with Jordan to pick them up tomorrow in Durban. For the first period today, the 6th grade asked me questions about America, myself, etc. Some of their questions were so funny it made me think they look at us like aliens/cave men/nomad wanderers. I guess we are guilty of the same things! They had their cross country day and all the kids were timed in either 2, 3, or 4 kilometer runs. Some of them are so stinkin' fast! I guess they inspired me because later I went and ran myself for 30 minutes. It felt good to exercise again and just run. I can easily enjoy the scenery and the weather is just about perfect for running. I had another short grocery shopping experience. That place is different. I feel it is more like a market than a grocery store. Patty fixed some amazing spaghetti tonight and it made me miss food at home. For example, Mi Cocina's chips and salsa, What-A-Burger's cherry lemon sundrops and crinkle fries, Carabba's lasagna, Little Tokoyo's Hibachi chicken, and On the Border's grilled enchiladas. Ok, I should stop there! haha. I wouldn't trade anything here for something at home. I love the experience, love the authenticity of everything. I should also say it is nice just to kind of fall of the face of the earth for awhile and just blend in with the people here. Well, obviously I can't physically blend in because I am so white I stick out like a sore thumb, but I mean figuratively speaking. To live it. 
When I arrived back at the hostel tonight I was invited to a birthday party in the kitchen. It was for a girl named Felicia. It was cool time to spend with some of the kids getting to know them and giving them a chance to just ask me questions. I brought my laptop down there so there would be some music. It was so sweet for her to save me a place at her birthday table with a big piece of cake. I really enjoyed tonight just being in a laid back setting with them. They keep asking me if I've met any celebrities!  I swear they think we all live together in one little town. Like I can go knock on Obama's door and ask him for some sugar. Haha! Some of them probably think I am from Outer Space. Sometimes I think I am myself, though. I just pray I can help and make some sort of little difference here. What a great opportunity that has been laid here before me!

No comments:

Post a Comment